"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Friday, August 22, 2014

My Slow Takes About The Temptations, Sam Cooke, The Blues Brothers and Father Barron

.1. The Temptations - I Wish It Would Rain, from 1968. The song was number four on the “Billboard Hot 100.”


2. Sam Cooke - Another Saturday Night, from 1963. The song was number ten on the “Billboard Hot 100.”

3. On August 20, 1794, General “Mad Anthony” Wayne defeated the Shawnee Chief Blue Jacket. The engagement is known as the Battle of Fallen Timbers. This was the last battle of the Northwest Indian War and it removed all Native American claims to the Northwest Territory. 
Chief Blue Jacket
4. Matthew Zahnzinger of USA Today writes about a new wearable personable trainer. The product is “Athos.” It combines sensor-equipped clothes with your smartphone or tablet. Read his article, then check out the Athos website.
5. I own an Xbox 360 and love playing games, especially Halo. Last week when I turned on my console it started grinning at me. Not a happy smile that says, “Hey Paul, I'm ready to game!” It was an annoying red blinking mockery type of smile. One that says, “Sorry Paul, no games today or anytime. I’m done. Ha-ha-ha.” It is known as “The red ring of death.”
So now I must try to coax the little white box to reconsider it’s illness. Explain to it that it must rest itself and return to me the joys of companionship. The fun of gaming with mind and body fully engrossed in the fantasy of other worlds. But, so far nothing has worked. I sit and stare, there is no response.    

6. “We’re on a mission from God.” A statement that Dan Aykroyd repeated throughout the movie, “Blues Brothers.” He and John Belushi created the characters, Jake and Elwood Blues from Saturday Night Live. Our oldest son Eric was here last week and he and I once again watched this great movie. Sharing memories from the 80’s. 

Dan Aykroyd & John Belushi
7. A message from Father Robert Barron. 
“Introducing, the beautiful new Word on Fire website:
The website is unprecedented in many ways. You can now browse thousands of my resources by topic, Biblical verse, Catechism paragraph, liturgical reference, and more. It's elegant, it's easy to use, and I think you'll really enjoy it.”

Read other "Takes" at Conversion Diary.

1 comment:

  1. The Blues Brothers is one of my favorite movies. Such good music AND a great storyline!

    ReplyDelete