"Never be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset." Saint Francis De Sales

Friday, June 22, 2012

Slow Takes (Vol. 54)


1. Father’s Day was relaxing and fun. In fact I actually had a Father's Day weekend, Saturday at Todd's house and Sunday at home. I received two humorous cards from Eric and Stephen. In addition, Christina made me homemade fudge. It is my favorite and she makes it just the way I like it.
Our grandsons, Justin and Conner were at the house with their dad Eric and we all played Halo. We took turns being on different teams and ended up with Eric and I opposing Justin and Conner. We lost all the games. They play too much and I don’t play enough. 
2. On Monday John arrived with mulch, topsoil, seed and fertilizer. Dee was there and excited that he completed everything. She was pleased with the work and the yard is gorgeous. Now I have to water the newly grassed areas.
3. Jennifer Fulwiler shared her interview with Brandon Vogt on Tuesday. She mentioned that she looked like a “redheaded hobbit.” So I thought I would post two pictures, one of Jennifer and one of a “hobbit girl,” by Kara-Kedi on Deviantart.com. 

Jennifer

Hobbit Girl



4. The first day of summer and the weather report for Richmond, Virginia is sunny, hot and humid. Temperature to be around 96 degrees. Meteorologist Meghan Evans says that there are three ways to define summer. Solar summer: May, June and July; meteorological summer: June, July and August and astronomical summer which is June, July, August and September. Virginia is like the astronomical summer and I love it.
5. Medical costs are rising, my deductible has increased and I still have issues trying to understand some of my medical bills. What is the real cost of my procedure? What part am I paying and is it correct? Christine Dugas wrote an article in Thursday’s USA Today that provided some answers.
There is a web-based organization called Simplee that provides a free "billing-error detection system." Apparently about 80% of medical bills are incorrect.

I did some checking and found out that the Better Business Bureau gives Simplee an A- rating and do not have any complaints listed. Details can be found at Freewebsitereport.org.
6. War was declared against Great Britain on June 18, 1812. We are now celebrating 200 years of peace. The official Bicentennial website is here.

If you go to this link there is a short quiz on the War of 1812. I scored seven out of nine.
7. There was an update in USA Today on the Voyager space vehicle launched by NASA in 1977. I liked Eric Christian’s quote, “we’re going where no one has been before.” He is a NASA research scientist that undoubtably watched Star Trek. “To boldly go where no man has gone before.”
8. I am not a political person and this is not a lead for discussion. My faith is in God and it’s to Him that I pray. Our country has issues. We have had issues in the past and will continue to have them. I believe that through prayer and devotion to God we will get through them.
“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me. John 14:1
The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops is asking us to pray from June 21 to July 4 a “fortnight for freedom.” 



No comments:

Post a Comment